There is absolutely no added fat in Chinese recipes. The chicken is poached in a ginger broth, cut and mixed with a soy vinaigrette and vegetables. It is then rolled into lettuce leaves for a delicious snack or appetizer.
Preparation time: 40 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Quantity: 16 rollers
- 250 ml low sodium chicken broth
- 2 slices fresh ginger
- 500 g boneless, skinless chicken breasts, and trimmed
- 45 ml (3 tablespoons) rice vinegar
- 15 mL (1 tablespoon) reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 red pepper, in strips
- 16 leaves of Boston lettuce
- 16 fresh mint leaves
- 45 ml (3 tablespoons) dry roasted peanuts, finely chopped
- 45 ml (3 tablespoons) reduced sodium soy sauce
- 15 ml (1 tablespoon) rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- To prepare the dip, mix the soy sauce, vinegar, and sugar in a small saucepan. Stir over low heat until the sugar is dissolved, and let it cool.
- Bring the broth and ginger to a boil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add chicken, reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook. Remove the chicken from the pan and discard the broth. When it’s cold enough to handle, cut it out.
- Mix the vinegar and the soy sauce in a medium salad bowl. Add the chopped chicken, carrot and pepper. Mix well.
- Place the lettuce leaves, hollow side up, on the work surface. Place a mint leaf in each. Spread chicken mixture evenly among lettuce leaves and sprinkle with peanuts on top. Wrap the leaves and serve with the dip.
- Prepare this recipe with tofu. Fry 250 grams (1/2 pound) of tofu, cut into cubes, in a little sesame oil. Mix the tofu with the vegetables.
- Use lean turkey instead of chicken.
Health benefits of Chinese Recipes
When you think healthy, think colorful. The more colors are in your plate, the greater the variety of vitamins and minerals.
This dish is particularly colorful as it includes leafy greens, red peppers, and carrots. It’s perfect for eating healthy and lowering blood pressure.
Key Nutrients Per Serving (1 roll of salad): 50 calories, including 10 calories from fat, 2 grams of fat, 0 grams of saturated fat, 0 grams of trans fat, 8 grams of protein, 3 grams of carbohydrates, 1 g of fiber, 160 mg of sodium.
Nutrients for blood pressure: 16 mg vitamin C, 15 mg magnesium, 139 mg potassium, 10 mg calcium.